Illustration blog.

Friday, February 03, 2006

CHAIR (Illustration Friday topic for 2/2/06)

click on image for larger view



"When the sixties dawned, one thing seemed sacred. The functionalism that the Bauhaus and the Modernist pioneers had given to the world in the 1930s was not up for grabs. In architecture and design, form must follow function. There was no room for decoration, disposability or frivolity. The purism of the new age allowed no sense of humour."

"In 1955, Florence Knoll had put back into production the classic Bauhaus furniture dsigns of the pre-war Modernists, notably Mies van der Rohe and Marcel Breuer, and there was a ready market for them." ... (1960s Writer) Tom Wolfe said that being invited to dinner was, "in this haven of functionalism", potentially dangerous. Wolfe says that Mies van der Rohe's ubiquitous S-shaped, tubular-steel, cane-bottomed chairs were so functional that by the time the main course had arrived, at least one guest had been pitched face-first into the lobster bisque."


- Sixties Source Book; A Visual Reference To The Style of a New Generation, by Nigel Cawthorne

This weeks topic is chair. I chose to do a modern chair (too literal?) from the post-war era. I love the Eames/Knoll style of chair and have a few such "pieces" in my apartment. However, they, admittedly, aren't the most comfortable things to sit in. Funnily enough, they were supposedly made for form to follow function. It turned out the other way around. Under the picture is a blurb from a book I recently read on 1960's style of architecture and interior design, which seemed to surmise pretty precisely my own constant battle in my brain with aesthetics versus comfort and happiness.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cute! I like the wicker pattern on the chair.

Teri said...

I like the chair, the whole design and especially the information. Well done!

Unknown said...

beautiful elegant design!

The Unknown said...

Cool. Looks scary to sit in though.
love

Dana S. Whitney said...

If I sat in the chair you painted, I'd be bouncing off my nose... but then, some of those mid-century modern (and earlier) chairs had that look about them!

Liz Wong said...

I love how all the other objects in the image reiterate the lines in the chair. I also love the contrast between this image and your other post for chair!

Powered By Blogger

Imagekind Gallery

Suzy Kendall Illustration

Welcome to my illustration blog. This is a place for me to show the illustrations and paintings that I am currently working on. Please make comments if you feel so inclined!

Search This Blog

For anyone who is a student, taking classes, this is a great discount card.